Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To all of you readers out there

As you may have noticed I have changed a few things around here. Just needed a little revamping. I added some new sections on my sidebar. Books I have read, books I am reading and books I want to read. I put this here to spark some on going conversation. I love to read, but I often find myself not sure what to read. This year hasn't been so bad since I have a bookclub to tell me what to read, but in years past I was never quite sure what books were good, tasteful, entertaining, and well worth the time spent reading it. So, what I want from you is your input. Have you read any of these books? What is your opinion on these books? What are you reading that you just can't put down? I want to know.
Since I am asking so much from you, I will be the first to start. I will give a quick rating on a few of the books I have recently read and maybe inspire a few of you non-readers to dive in.

The Twilight Series - I feel it is almost pointless for me to comment on these books since pretty much every mormon woman has read them recently, and if she hasn't she is being pestered by all of her friends and family to get to it. A great, easy, fun, quick way to lose yourself for a few days. That's right, I said a few days. Even though the page total of this series is roughly 1800 pages, it seems most people can get through it in about a week. You do forget that you have a husband, children, friends, or for that matter any responsibility at all while reading these. That's part of the beauty of them. I give this series 4 stars!!

The Thirteenth Tale - Very interesting. I don't quite know how to critique this book. I really enjoyed reading it, it is very eerie and very fascinating, you really want to know what happens to these characters, but I don't think I would read it again. I would definitely recommend reading it just for the sheer weirdness of it. I give this book 3 stars.

The Eyre Affair - Extremely clever. It's a story set in the future but the year is 1985 (try to figure that one out). Very cleverly written and if you love Jane Eyre you should probably read it, but I don't think I would run out and buy all of his books. I give this book 2 and a half stars.

The Book Thief - Loved it. It is set during the Holocaust, so it definitely isn't going to cheer you up, but it is incredibly moving and a beautiful story. The most interesting thing about this book is that it is told from the point of view of death. That's right, the good old grim reaper is telling the story and it makes for the most intriguing point of view I have ever read from a book. I definitely give this book 4 stars.

3 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

This is a great idea! But I gotta tell you that I was not so much a fan of the 13th Tale, too many weird disturbing issues with that family. I did love The Book Thief though. I have been in a real slump when it comes to books, so thanks for starting this! See you soon I hope.

Harmony said...

I really like this idea. I've read all of Phillipa Gregory's books. She is an excellent author, and, I think, does a great job capturing that time period. I should warn you though that there are some naughty chapters throughout all of her books. I have a weakness for historical novels though, so I enjoy them.

TheShippenFamily said...

I love all of Phillipa Gregory's books! I wanted to see the movie but haven't yet