Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Another Scare

Man, when it rains, it pours. I have done nothing but sad posts for weeks now. This one is no different. Carson has been complaining about a neck ache for a couple of days. I figured he just slept on it wrong and told him to stop being a baby. (I'm a bad mom) So, yesterday I barely touched his neck and he started crying and I thought, "Ok, maybe something is really wrong". So I looked more carefully at his neck and it was bulging. I took him to our family practitioner and he started asking me all these questions about how he had been feeling. I said that he had been sent home from school last Friday because of a high fever, but it went away after a couple of hours. Anyway, as I started thinking about it as he was questioning me I realized that he had been acting very odd for a couple of days. Very low energy, periodic fevers, and moodiness. I didn't even think that the the neck problem would be related to him not feeling well. The doctor said that he was very concerned because he could feel a growth on Carson's neck and with the high fevers it was something that needed immediate attention. He told me to take Carson to Sunrise Children's Hospital immediately. Carson needed blood work done and a catscan to determine what the growth was. Scary.

So Greg took him to the hospital, and I had to wait at home with the other kids with a huge pit in my stomach, just waiting to hear. After an IV, many viles of blood and a catscan (my poor baby), their diagnosis was very fear-relieving. He has an infected lymphnode. It is easily treated and nothing to worry about. If, for some reason the medication doesn't calm the lymphnode then they will have to do further tests and possibly remove it, but the doctor seemed pretty positive that it would.

There is nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong. So many possibilities run through your mind (and none of them are good), so while I was waiting for the diagnosis, I was just praying that they could determine the problem quickly and that the doctor would be thorough in his examination. My prayers were answered, I am so happy that he is going to be fine. Thanks to my friends who were so quick to call and ask if I needed help when they heard that Carson was in the hospital, I am very blessed.


Brindley Family est. 1997 said...

Wow! I had no idea! I am glad that you were able to get answers from the doctors right away. I hope he feels better soon.

Harmony said...

I'm so happy to hear that the Dr. was able to diagnose it! I can only imagine how scary that must have been for your whole family. Don't get down on yourself. You are an amazing person, and mom!

Lindsay said...

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that Carson, and you, had to go through all of that. Thank goodness that everything will bee alright. Scary.